End of Summer
At Long Last
Greetings, Better Lifers! I hope you are well and that you’ve had wonderful Springs and Summers. Many of you have children returning to school soon (today even!), and I hope they are excited about the new beginning. I know I am.
As summer draws to a close, so does a busy period for me. I am very much looking forward to “slow season” and catching up with myself, which includes catching up with you all and this blog.
One of the “rules” of blogging is not to apologize for absences. However, another “rule” is to post regularly. Hah! Since I’ve clearly broken the latter, I might as well break the former. I DO apologize for my long absence. Those of you who subscribe to the blog will get this posting alert automatically in your email and may have to pause to remember who I am! Those of you who don’t subscribe and have long tired of checking the website occasionally, I’m sending internet vibes to you to check back this week! 🙂 To every single one of you, my apologies, and I’ve missed you!
So, What Have I Been Up To?
In a nutshell:
- Beau and his sailing crew raced in the annual Regatta of Bahamian sloops and won the National Championship! We towed the local sailboats with our trawler to the Regatta and had a fabulous time of races and seeing friends. It was a great pleasure to return the championship to our home community, too. Great sailing legacy and pride!
- We completed renovations on Beau’s house and moved in. Wonderful! I am enjoying living closer in to the Village and settling into our own space. I even closed out my Stateside storage unit and moved the last of my personal stuff – including my beloved childhood piano! – down to the island. Home Sweet Home.
- We attended another Regatta in Long Island, Bahamas this summer. Again, we traveled in our trawler and towed the sailboat. This time, we had 5 other sailors aboard with us for the week! So it was cozy living with me and the men, but they are all great guys, and we had fun. Best of all, I got to crew on the racing sailboat every day of the Regatta! Beau was short on crew, and I ended up aboard the sloop. Absolutely exhilarating!
- Another year of our local kids’ summer camp is now concluded! Activities included boating, swimming, snorkeling, free-diving and spear-fishing, hand-line fishing, nature hike, sailing, and an overnight slumber party in our home!
- Lots of events locally and elsewhere: holidays, birthdays, travel, etc.
- We and our families are all healthy and well and have enjoyed various visits together.
- Angel and Milo are also well. 🙂 Angel stayed with my mother in Florida for 2+ months while we were bouncing around the islands. I brought her back with me a few days ago at long last, and we’re getting back into dog routines.
- We also have a new addition in the form of a cat! I’ve never been a cat person but have fallen in love with this little guy. I’ll tell you about him soon.
And There You Have It!
I also apologize for the lack of pictures in this blog entry. I think images of island life are an important part of this blog for my readers. While I am pleased to maintain technological distance so that it doesn’t consume my free time, it has its disadvantages. I do not have any form of “smart phone,” for example. Usually, that’s great for me because when I’m away from my computer set-up, I’m away from email and the addictive time-suck of the internet. Instead, I’m focused on family, friends and the simplicity of daily Life. However, it also means that I can’t just snap a cool island photo and, with another simple click, post it on the blog or the blog’s Facebook for you. My old-school method of camera/download/sort/upload-to-blog is time-consuming and partly why I haven’t posted. I may need to re-think that. But, for now, I at least wanted to get back in touch with you!
Endings and Beginnings
So, Better Lifers, what have you been up to these last few months? What are you looking forward to? I look forward to catching up with you all. Cheers to our continued journey and Better Life together!